Thursday, March 1, 2007

Good times.

Short Chapters of this Entry (choose what you want to read!!)

1) Drinking and Driving
2) "the Shit"
3) Nightlife and Coffee

DRINKING and DRIVING
Sunday-Wednesday we were in Mendoza, the wine capital of Argentina (7th in most wine consuming countries in the world). It was in-credible. What was even better was taking BIKES through the bodegas (vineyards) and from one to another. Yep, bikes, sun, vineyards, wine-tasting. Flipping amazing. You wish you were with us. I learned this though: When having only consumed two crissonts at breakfast six hours earlier, it is not smart to49 drink a glass of wine relatively quickly and then ride a bike. Nothing bad happened, it just didn't feel so great... haha. So we stopped, let it settle, and continued to our second bodega -- which was the oldest in this town (1850s) and completely family-run. Again, in-credible.

"THE SHIT"
I know, I know... I just cussed. But let me explain. When used in this context, the word "shit" is a title -- to be "the Shit" is to be the coolest of cool people - to be popular, known, hip, trendy, wanted... this is what it means to be "the Shit." To give you an example, I have never been the Shit. It just doesn't work for me in the States. And that's okay. My good friend says she was the Shit in seventh grade, so I figure living vicariously through her suffices. However.... here, my friends, we are the Shit. Three nights ago, we were in a bar and turned to find some twelve-year-old kid at the window next to the table, taking photos of each gringa (3), and smiling a ridiculously goofy smile. En serio. While drinking and riding bikes, a truckload of guys (I'm talking a BIG truck -- with 20 something guys, 2-3 times our height) drove past, all yelling different things in Spanish, all whistling, and then --- it started raining things -- they were THROWING leaves and berries at us. American guys, FYI: throwing leaves at girls riding bikes is not a good way to get their attention. So, I know, trucks and kids aren't really exciting, but literally EVERYONE wants to talk with us or watches us as if we are some strange TV show.

NIGHTLIFE and COFFEE
For the past 7 of 8 nights, I have gone out to bars and stayed out until at least 3am. Three AM is really really early here. My body is actually starting to get used to it! SO different than my life in Chicago... can I get an Amen to that?? haha. That's what you do here: eat dinner at ten, hang out until 2, go out and talk until 4, go home. It's out of control. After night #4, I decided the only way to survive is to drink coffee. And, yes, I know, you can't believe it, but I am now a consumer of coffee. What IS this place??? I'm going to return a coffee-drinking, bar-hopping, stay-out-all-night woman. Yikes. I've also decided that I really don't enjoy drinks other than wine... so while everyone stays up drinking, I have sampled every juice possible. Let's hear it for all-natural juice!!

I am now in Buenos Aires -- as of this morning... Check back in tomorrow for updates...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I need to own being the "good friend" who was the Shit in seventh grade. As always, great storytelling and details, Megan!!