Thursday, March 15, 2007

A tango dancer is born.

1. Ohmygoodness I love the tango. I can't handle it. It's the most amazing dance ever. I am obsessed and my only desire is to be the best tango dancer in the entire program. It's ridiculous. I'm competitive about it. (I'm laughing but I'm so serious... which is ridiculous, I know.) Today during my first ORGANIZED tango lesson, I fell in love with it. I've had a lesson before, you ask? Yes, from an old Argentine man at the Tango Festival. How perfect, no? A man in his seventies, Italian, Argentine, and STILL hitting on me even though he is "grande". Typical porteƱo. But I learned the basic tango from him! So today, when I learned more and felt confident, it enchanted me! Oh, and just for the record, I now know the "gancho" which is the move where the woman swiftly and gracefully flicks her leg behind and wraps it around the guy's. Yep. It's hot. and super fun. Watch out, world.

2. Piazzolla: the jazzy type of tango music. Last night Katie and I returned to a trendy local jazz place to hear a piazzolla trio for the second time. It's pretty much the sweetest jazz place ever. See photos and listen at theloniousclub.com.ar The music pulled depths from me that must have been buried and ignored... I've had a really difficult time finding music that is in time with my emotions and thoughts... My mind and insides are tumultuous these days. But piazzolla... It's tango roots are strong and forceful, but playful and full of passionate emotion; the jazz in it is creative and rythyms clash and melodies mix... and its essence is "right in time with me" (lucinda williams). You know how sometimes you connect with music so deeply that it makes you feel vulnerable? like if someone saw you while listening, they would see your inmost feelings? That is piazzolla for me. Try to find some online to check out.

1 comment:

claire said...

yay lucinda williams! (that quote was a proud moment...i have taught you well)