Friday, March 30, 2007

Cultural Barriers

So I am one month into my stay in BsAs, and these are the things I still don't completely understand:

- Why dog-walking is such a popular job.
- Why they don't eat wheat bread.
- Why the only two things I can't buy are peanut butter (expected) and BLACK BEANS (?)
- How buying helado (ice cream) became such a serious thing.
- How people survive when you don't leave for the clubs until after 2am.
- How and where to find and buy books.
- How to correctly buy fruit without offending the grocery worker.
- How all the girls are so skinny.
- Why stoplights go green-yellow-red-yellow-green.
- Why sometimes taxis and colectivos don't have to stop at red lights.
- Why people don't pick up their dogs' poop on the sidewalk. It's a bother to all of humanity here.
- Why the government doesn't produce more coins.
- Why the colectivos don't use a card system- it would take care of the coin problem!! (seriously, EVERYONE hoards coins for the buses. there are never enough.)
- Where mullets come from.
- Why when you buy a bottle of water or can of soda, they give you a straw for it.
- Why marriage isn't a big thing here.
- The absolute insane frenzy of fĂștbol.
- Why keys have to turn twice.
- Why having a clean house is so important.
- How kisses on cheeks can be so impersonal (they are!).
- Why alfajores are so popular. They just AREN'T good.
- Why café cortados are so... small.

I think if a person can thoroughly understand or accept these things, they are truly Argentine. As much as I would like it all to be normal by the time I leave, I don't know if it's possible... haha.

1 comment:

claire said...

sometimes i have to force myself to not comment on every single one of your blogs. but i love you too much and sometimes i can't help myself (as in this very moment). and i would like to say that so many of the things you mentioned are things that i don't know how i'm going to adjust to them not being there (cortados!). i mean, huge coffees? what?! i clearly would not call myself una espanola. but still. (meanwhile, hand held showers i will not miss)