Monday, March 5, 2007

Ways to Die in Buenos Aires

For those of you concerned with my safety, I thought I should give you a security update. I have discovered there are two ways I could die here:

1) Traffic. The drivers of buses, cabs, and autos have absolutely no mercy for pedestrians. I have to learn a whole new way of crossing streets.

2) Starvation. The women here don´t eat. Seriously. I have heard multiple statistics about eating disorders and Buenos Aires (such as: it´s the #2 city for eating disorders in the world, and 1 in 10 women struggle with them). However, I can´t figure out if it´s eating disorders or just the culture... because EVERYONE is stick thin. I don't understand how something can be a disorder when the entire society takes part in it; it´s normal!

However, I have already decided this will not bother me -- there are too many bread and ice cream shops to try! Seriously though, my thoughts are not ¨Oh my goodness, I need to lose weight!¨ Instead, they´ve been a healthy ¨Give me food NOW! I'm going to eat whether you do or not!!¨ haha. I´m so grateful for a healthy self-image... haha. Oh, life...

No comments: