Monday, July 2, 2007

Una ciudad en un pueblo

While BsAs is definitely a modern city, I have these moments when it seems that buildings and air pollution and public transportation just fell into a little pueblo and caught it off guard. Life is extrememly neighborhood based, and relationships are así (thus/like that). I buy groceries, fruit and vegetables, bread, pasta, calling cards, go to the gym, fix my shoes, visit the laundress, and rent movies all within two small blocks of my house. Betty at the movie rental sends her son to pick up my movie after I finish it. Miguel carries the produce to our door. The cafe on the corner buys its bread from the panadería one block away, and the man carries it on his head in a basket. Random días the man on the opposite corner is selling brooms from the sidewalk, and at 9am and 4pm the street is filled with parents who walked to the school to walk their children home. The empanada place on my corner knows which types and how many I like, and I buy ice cream from Willie's Window. Even in the busiest part of the city, old men ride bicycles with baskets of steaming bread to bring it to their cafés, and friends yell across the streets at each other. And this feeling is one that I will miss tons...

No comments: