Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Escape Artist -- Being Present

I am a very "present" person -- I don't anticipate much in life because I am usually so stuck and loving the present moment, that I forget/neglect to look ahead.

** TIME OUT TO MAKE EMPANADAS.** Heck yes, Argentina. Heck. yes.

Empanada update: Mine were good, but my little sister's were better. But -- seriously. She's argentine. She was born making empanadas.

Back to being present. Today I was in this awful mood -- one of those restless, mopey moods. And it had nothing to do with BsAs but all I could think about was how great it would be to be home. And I was seriously considering changing my flight and leaving So. Amer. Monday. And then while listening to Wonderwall on a colectivo, I realized that looking at life that way is no good. I shouldn't always think somewhere else is better... I don't want to live like an escape artist.

For the past three years, I've had "the other" place to idealize: while at home with problems, Loyola sounded great; while at Loyola with issues, home sounded better (at times). And I don't think that's healthy. So today I decided that although I want to run from BsAs, here I am. And I have to find something in this huge city that will help lift me from my funk. I can't wish I was in Chicago. So I put Chicago out of my head and turned to face this monster of a city, hoping it would gift me with something, and my mood changed in an instant. It didn't disappear, but there was a contentment that I had lacked before. It HAS to take care of me. And I have to let it.

Yay for being present...

No comments: