Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My Argentine Flair

So a few friends have excitedly said, "I can't wait to meet the new you! I can't wait to see how you've changed!" And in truth, I feel like I'm going to disappoint them; I really am still Megan, you'll definitely recognize me and fall right back into normal-life with me. However...

My best friend recently wrote me a letter and affirmed me as an Argentine-American, and as her friend with "Argentine flair." I laughed and decided to claim both. Here a few ways I've changed:
-- I keep my room clean (MOST of the time...)
-- I am more politically aware.
-- I dance tango.
-- I like coffee.
-- I'm kinda more trendy... (haha. I say that with some shy shame)
-- I like going out until unruly hours of the morning.
-- I eat slowly and sit down at a set table for each meal.
-- I can't go without afternoon teas.
-- (I still hate cats. During this email I have literally THROWN our cat Azul from the desk six times.)
-- I am a wait-er. I wait for conversation to loosen up so then real conversations can start and last until 2 or 3am; I wait without a working flusher and use a bucket because there is always SOMETHING that doesn't work; I wait for professors who come to class 29 minutes late. I'm more flexible and laid-back. Because if not, one would die with all the disfuncionality here (I can't spell English words anymore, as you can see).
-- I love a good red wine.
-- I appreciate simple living.
-- I don't speak or write English as well because either: Spanish comes out, or Spanish translations that don't work in English come out.
-- I take more risks and live more adventurously.
-- I'm more of free spirit than I was.
-- I speak with my hands AND my voice (very porteño).
-- I'm more confident.
-- And my life resume has lengthened at least 3 pages. haha.

Yay, Buenos Aires. There is an... cartel... shoot, what's the English translation? A... board with advertisements on the side of a road? Anyway. One ad right now says, "Buenos Aires, cada vez te veo, te quiero más." Buenos Aires, each time I see you, I love you more. It's true. It's so true.

No comments: