Monday, June 11, 2007

Whose government is it??

I just read a bbc.com article about the issue of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and the Congress no-confidence... check it out at bbc.com. I'm not here to comment on our president (directly) or US politics (at the moment), but something Mr. Bush said deeply disturbed me.

He said, "They can try to have their votes of no confidence, but it's not going to determine who serves in my government."

"MY government."

The government of the United States is just that: OF (aka belonging to) the United States. George W. Bush is serving US, the people. When someone claims a democratic government as their own, moreover when the leader claims it as his own... something is not right.

Now I know Bush knows its not his. However, I'm so aware of language used -- I think it often shows underlying beliefs/opinions. So the fact that Bush used "my"...

Two days later while editing the above "entrada":
But I don't just want this to be about Bush. Because that is unfair and self-righteous of me, and because I want to have hope for our government regardless the leader. So since I first sat to wrote this, I've been thinking a lot about what MY viewpoint of government is: Do I see it as OUR (aka including me?)? Do I take responsibility for it? What, really, does our government mean to me? So many questions...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you, Megan. I read that article too. Yet another thing coming out of the Bush administration that reeks of unfair play and questionable democracy...

ramblinwreck said...

hmm...not to defend Bush or anything...but I say "my government"...just like you do, just like anyone should. I guess my point is that if I became president (God help us all, lol), I'm sure I would still say "my government" because it is, it's mine, it's yours, it's ours as long as we vote and take part in it. He has just as much right to say "my government" as anyone, it's just people can take things to mean something different that what you might intend (especially if you're not speaking with them in person) ... get what I'm getting at?

Megan said...

Ramblinwreck... well said. I see where you're coming from, and I think your point is completely valid. I say my government when refering to it in comparison to another country's government. And, yes, the media (and myself) can construe things differently. With that said, the problem with his statement was within the context of the subject. He was going to go against a democratic system that was supposed to represent the people's, the Congress' voice. And that's why I had a problem with it... But you're right. I have to be careful about how I view statements, in what context and... yes. Good call.