Tuesday, July 10, 2007

It snowed in Buenos Aires yesterday. For the first time since 1918.

It was beautiful snow, too: fluffy, big snowflakes that my sister and I caught on our tongues, shrieking with delight and dancing. People leaned out of apartment building windows to feel the snow; camera flashes lit up other windows as people attempted to document the first white sky in almost ninety years. My porteƱa mom and my sisters giggled and ran up to our terrace to see the sky, and an argentine friend repeated all night, "Beyond imagination..." It was beautiful. And so fun to see all of the excitement...

I have officially left Buenos Aires... es medio raro... de hecho, es muy raro... (it's kinda strange... actually, it's really strange...) I'm a mess of emotions and thoughts and memories and hopes and regrets and... a mess. But the past week was wonderful: I accomplished all the important things on my list, and had an amazing time with my family in the campo this past weekend = countless games of UNO, argentine tag and hide 'n go seek, homemade popcorn, movies, tea, laughter until tears, fireplaces and hugs...

Random things: In Argentina, Daffy Duck is called Pato Lucas. I still die of laughter each time someone says that. I have an illegal middle name according to Argentine standards (there's a list of legal names). My goal of next winter is to learn how to ice skate backwards. This whole concept of consciously falling in love with a city that I know I will leave still confounds me. Even Argentines are astounded by my lack of American movie knowledge. (That's awful.) The only way I can live in a city my whole life is if I have a campo. When I'm tired or cry, my eyes get greener... the two together make for super-green-Megan eyes.

The end. (haha)

No comments: