Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ella llegó!! (She arrived!)

La primavera llegó. Spring has come. I almost started crying yesterday I was so grateful. IT’S ABOUT TIME. I think we all agree. Two weeks ago I said, “When spring finally comes, I feel like Chicago will glow brighter from space – there will just be so much positive energy and joy!” I think Chicago sparkled yesterday and today.

One of my favorite artists is Merecedes Sosa, an argentine folklore singer. She has this beautiful song Lapachos en Primavera. It’s gentle and soft, and the lyrics are: “Te busco, te busco y te busco. Luz... te quiero, te quiero y te quiero.... La vida es como un camino hasta el verano. Luz... La primavera me dice esta llegando. Luz...” English: “I seek you, I seek you and I seek you... Light... I love you, I love you and I love you... Life is like a path unto summer. Light... Spring tells me it’s arriving.” The song speaks of hopeful waiting for spring’s light. I’ve been singing it forever!

As a child, my parents generously gave me a kitchen cabinet of my own. I often proudfully doned pink 80s sunglasses, cleared out the crayons and watercolors, climbed in, advised Mom, “I’m going to St. Louis. I’ll bring back a Mrs. Field’s cookie for you,” and shut the door. Whenever I returned from St. Louis, Mom would warmly and lovingly greet me, “THERE you are!! Welcome back!”

That’s how I felt today as I laid on my deck and read Pablo Neruda, and then went for a run on the lakefront. As if spring came back from the cabinet-trip, and I was lovingly greeting it. Other people on the path must have noticed my huge smile, contented look, and running-dance-moves (does anyone else dance while they run? We must look pretty silly). I was so glad she had arrived!! In a completely cheesy deliriuous happy state, I couldn't help but serenade Spring when Lauren Hill’s Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You came on my iPod. Oh, Spring...

No comments: