Thursday, March 27, 2008

Training wheels

Returning to thoughts on creativity...

In the past months I've made [seemingly] silly, fun and outrageous goals as to my creative aspirations. I've dreamed of perfect days, jobs, lives and pastimes ranging from living in a place with only spring flowers, to doing African dance, to being a photographer, to having a mountain in my backyard change form daily... *laugh* It's been hope-giving, but at times I've experienced resistance in the form of, "Megan, you can't do that! Why would you even dream about it? That's ridiculous!"

Not so!

This week, I experienced two of my goals take visible steps towards actualizing (for Spanish speakers, I want to use the verb "realizar"...)! Goal #1: Become a good enough tango dancer to keep up with my teacher. Hope #1: This week, when he taught me how to lean on him so he could put me into an incline, I learned quickly. He gave me a proud, excited hug and beso on the cheek and sent me off to practice. I am inspired by his encouragement and faith in me. Goal #2: Do a headstand in yoga by December 2009. Hope #2: Last night in yoga, as we worked on upper body strength, our scary teacher (we flinch when she walks past us -- she's so intimidating! Oh Gloria...) stopped in front of me and said, "Do you want to try a headstand today? It just clicked for you." (!!!!) I did a headstand! (Not completely alone... Gloria helped me balance.) Gloria ohhhmmm'd later, "You're like a kid on training wheels, it will happen."

Some fun exercises to think about:
1. What are 12 things you would love to do? They don't have to be things you already do... allow yourself to dream a bit! Don't think too hard, just list them.
2. List 20 things you like to do.
a. Now for each one, is it free or have a cost? Cheap or expensive? Do to alone or with someone? Is it daring or calming? What part of you does it feed -- spiritual, mental, emotional, physical?
b. From that list, create the perfect day as life is now.
c. Now create and describe a perfect day in your wish-world.

No comments: