Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The week's ponderings - weird, fun, and beautiful.

** Last night I had this organic moment while drinking water –a moment of clarity – at the most basic level, I’m an being/animal drinking these two gases that happen to make a liquid that nourishes my body. Weird, really, to reflect upon. I may have various levels of thinking/feeling/relating, but I have to drink water to be able to do any of those things. (I was realllllly tired, so my thinking was kinda strange anyway, hence my organic thought. *laugh.)

** The past few weeks I’ve been fighting/resisting these “monsters” as I’ve deemed them: things that threaten my dreams, my purpose, my “deepest desires” – ideas of financial comfort, of choosing the easy course, of appeasing others. I’ve turned to a few people for help/advice, but none so insightful as this little girl. Enjoy.
Go to: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UCOPNuuGeKA

** I just read On Liberty by John Stuart Mill – some parts deeply resonated with me. I think this quote is beautiful:
“Human nature is not a machine to be built after a model, and set to do exactly the work prescribed for it, but a tree, which requires to grow and develop itself on all sides, according to the tendency of the inward forces which make it a living thing.” Mill quotes Wilhelm von Humbolt to say that to develop ourselves, for this “tree” to grow, we must have “freedom, and a variety of situations.”

The beautiful part of our society is that we have freedom (debatable, I know, but for the purposes of this thought, go with me). We have freedom, so we just need to seek and intentionally put ourselves in these varying situations. My goal for the week is to experience two “new” situations that challenge my thinking/way of life.

And... deep breath... GO.

No comments: